Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Painting Wall Paneling 

Today I will show how to paint lower part of the wall paneling in a mudroom. Upper part of the room is the drywall. I am going shortly to show what technique and a tool choice I will use in this case. 
First of all I painted the ceiling and the upper part of the wall already.


Next step I need to prep the paneling surface (existing finish is semi gloss paint). By using 180 grit sanding sponge sand the surface of paneling, The goal is to take paint sheen off the old paint for the better new paint bonding result with the surface.


After vacuum cleaning the surface we can start painting. For that purpose I will use small roller cover and the paint brush. Because all paneling area is small I will go with the brush up and down along all the surface and especially trying to fill the paneling groove with the paint. After that i will role over with the small roller for better finish texture (with no brush marks) Small nap roller (for smoother finish texture) couldn't reach these grooves, that's why we use the brush. 




If the paneling surface would be bigger (whole basement room), I would brush just along those grooves and finish flat flat part of the paneling with the 3/16"x 9" roller for the semi gloss finish and bigger nap 1/4" - 3/8" for egg shell, matte or flat paint finish. 
Mudroom is finished although today it looks like a new shiny "cleanroom"to me☺. 




No comments:

Post a Comment