Monday, December 16, 2013

Fix the drywall after the leakage on the ceiling

In my earlier blog I wrote about the ceiling leakage at my clients office. Today the plumbing problem is solved and I can finish my job by fixing drywall hole left by the plumber. I will guide you by steps needed to take to close the ceiling hole:

Step 1. Find ceiling joists around the hole. Make sure that drywall sides going along the joist are in a middle of it so every square peace of the drywall could be tightly fixed to the joint. For that reason we need to cut marked areas.  
On the right side (look at the picture) drywall hangs on the empty space. We will need to do some framing work to support this side of the drywall as well


For that reason I fixed one peace of 2" by 4" wooden stud  to the existing joist and other peace of the same size wood I fixed to the drywall itself with the screws. Make sure whole perimeter of the drywall is fixed to the wood so it wouldn't have any movement 



Step 2. Measure the hole and figure out how to cut the drywall. I decided to go with two peaces of the drywall. Fix the drywall withe screws and put mesh tape around perimeter of the hole.


Step 3. Now it is time to put first layer of mud on the patched area. Make sure that with the first layer all gaps are properly filled with the mud. 






Step 4. For better quality and smooth finish we have to put two more layers on the top, after each layer is dry. Then we will sand the surface with the sanding handle, put one coat of the primer and one or two coats of the ceiling paint on the top. Make sure every coat is completely dry before you are doing next coat.



So the ceiling hole is fixed and we can move forward. We will see what interesting situations we will have tomorrow and in coming days. One of the next themes I would like to write how to do touch ups around at home before Christmas. Few days ago I worked at clients home doing touch ups, fixing drywall, repainting several  walls in different rooms. I was surprised by myself how much you can do in one day if you organize work properly and you know what you do. I would like to share this experience with you. Stay tuned and Iwill talk to you next time.



No comments:

Post a Comment