Tuesday, December 10, 2013

How to detect and fix drywall imperfections 

The best way to detect drywall imperfections on walls and ceilings for me is by using a portable work light with 500w halogen bulb. You can find it at any store: Home Depot, Lowes, or Menards. I use it all the time before starting wall or ceiling preparation, whether is sunny or rainy day outside; because typically you would think that in a sunny day you can see every imperfection on the drywall. Unfortunately it is not the case. At any time of the day you have darker places in the room and it is hard to detect a nail pop on the upper part of the wall closer to the ceiling, or a small crack above the window or door trim.


I always joke that this light is not for clients because if you put it in a certain position by any wall, you will be able to see the whole "story" behind that wall: was it sprayed by the builder (if the house is still several years old), or did the roller have a  smaller or bigger nap, depending on how rough texture on the wall is. So when the client approaches you better turn this light off J! You don't want to make a client worry about the state of the drywall around the house. They may never see those imperfections, because in the day light or in the existing room light they is not able to be seen. The halogen light is mostly for professionals to use. Although if you are a home owner and you are reading this post, especially if you are going to paint your house by yourself, don't worry about it - you are a professional! In this video I will show the view of the wall imperfections with the light on the floor, directed up to the ceiling.



First of all  by using scraper (in this case 6 in one tool) I will scrape everything above the wall surface as possible. In this way will be easier to hide it with the mud patching over imperfections. For the screw anchor holes you can push in everything around that hole. To get ride of the plastic screw anchor  you can cut it with the scraper and hammer rest of the plastic part in to the hole.





Nail pops are important part of imperfections. You will find it often and in every room on the walls and ceilings. I will have separate post about nail pops and cracks, because it is important part of wall preparation. Typical reason of the nail pop to appear is loosen drywall around the nail or screw. In a house settling process wooden constructions have the motion and makes drywall in some places loose. It is not enough just to scrape the nail pop from the drywall and patch it over it. It's better to take away the reason why it happened in a first place. After scraping the nail pop I always put extra screw, because it makes drywall tighten to the stud again.






Now it is time to patch imperfections. Usually I use SHEETROCK® Brand Easy Sand™ Lightweight Setting-Type Joint Compound with 45 minute set time. This specific material is easy to mix, patch and sand. Especially if you patching, sanding and painting walls the same day that's the product because its dries fast. By using mud pan and drywall taping knifes


It is time to patch imperfections on the wall. I like to keep joint compound in a 2 gal bucket with the lid. It stays dry, convenient to carry and to use it (you can use just cleaned up bucket from the paint and have plastic cup from laundry detergent)


First of all we make patching mud by mixing joint compound with the water. Do as thick as would be comfortable to work. I like thicker one, because I like to patch smaller imperfections with one or two layers. As thinner the mud is as more layers you need. Typically you need to put 3 layers of mud to get the best result, especially on the bigger spots or replaced drywall areas, where you are using mesh tape. Lets make a mud



It maybe helpful to check this video from youtube about mixing the mud
  
We have patching mud, lets get to work






Right now it is time to sand. I usually use sanding handle with sandpaper 100. After several motions actually it becomes 150 and it does not leave noticeable marks on the patched spot. I like to use more narrow die cut sandpaper which fits the with of the sanding handle. This way it is easier to reach closer to any corner with the handle.


In the patching and sanding process both operations are important. You can patch very good, but somebody can do bad sanding and make the patched spot seam (mesh tape can come off). In the opposite case you can have not so good patch, but somebody who knows how to sand still can make good final result. As I mentioned, that I usually try to save time on patching, making one or two thicker layers of mud, but I spend more time on sanding and focusing on good final result . I guess everybody has its own style. As I said at the start of the blog I respect my colleagues for dedication improving peoples homes and always took some good new ideas in painting process along the way. Same time I know that I've found new and convenient ways  improving my own work technique as well. 
First of all its need to sand around the perimeter of patched area, make it smooth transformation from the spot to the wall, make it look like a one surface. Than needs to sand middle of the spot. I typically sand until I start to see some signs of hidden imperfection. I means that I should stop here and it is "the line on the sand" where you can not to cross.








Drywall repair. Sometimes in a preparation process we have  drywall pushed in to the wall and  having a bump. It needs to check by pushing with the finger. If the drywall moves you can not to patch it over. 

 

By using the drywall saw we have to cut the drywall off.





It is always good to reach the stud even on the one side of the hole (as you can see in the upper video on the right side). Then we can put 2x4 wood on the left inner side of the hole ant fix it with the screws to the drywall.


Now we can put the drywall and use mesh tape around the hole.


Right now we can patch the drywall, but I should stop right here. As I mentioned earlier I'll have separate post on this theme.
Maybe somebody has some specific questions while working in a painting process at home. I'd be glad if I could help here. Do not hesitate to ask, questions always welcome. I will get in touch with you later. Have a wonderful week everybody!
  



















2 comments:

  1. I am the gal with the leaky ceiling that Virgil fixed. Absolutely amazing work! My entire first floor is now renovated and fresh right before the holidays. It is GORGEOUS! Merry Christmas to me! The best part was the partnership he has with a designer who listened to the feel I was trying to achieve and brought sample after sample painting large patches on the wall so my family could live with it for a few days and see it in all different lights, experience it from different angles. She didn't stop experimenting until all three of us would say "that's it!" Both are very decisive with excellent input. The designer even re-arranged and then placed some of my artwork to take better advantage of the new color scheme. I feel like we have brand-new house. Thank you Virgil and Vida!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rita for your kind words. We are a new team with Vida now. I enjoy working with her as well.
      I wish you and your family a wonderful Christmas and a Happy New Year!

      Delete